Viviparous L.I.S. - Allotoca zacapuensis by Gary Randell

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 22, 2018, 07:15:20 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Viviparous L.I.S.
|-+  Member Area
| |-+  Articles (Moderator: keith 565)
| | |-+  Allotoca zacapuensis by Gary Randell
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Allotoca zacapuensis by Gary Randell  (Read 5669 times)
Alan
Administrator

http://www.livingfish.co.uk Email
« on: November 29, 2007, 10:35:29 AM »

Allotoca  zacapuensis                  
Lake Zacapu   2000
By Gary Randell

The first time I saw allotoca zacapuenis was in a friend’s fish house. At the time he only had a small colony of youngsters. Most of them were males. He was kind enough to give me to males and one female. I put them in a 2 foot tank and   feed them plenty of live food. About six months later the female was due to give birth. As this was my only female I decided to put her in a small tank with plenty of plant cover hoping to save as many fry as possible. She only produced three fry giving birth to one each day and then she died. The young sex out as two males and one female so back to where I started once again I feed plenty of live food. They soon grew into mature adults eventually she had a brood of 17 and seven of them turned out to be females. I have hade many young from them and now have allotoca zacapuenis well establish. both sexes are a dull brownish colour with faint vertical bars. At certain times they get a very weak bluish colour on the sides of their body  Finns are mostly clear with a slight colouration of yellow. Large adults will attack their new born it is possible to flock breed them they are best kept   in a large well planned tank.  I find. Females quite often produce young over a period of two days. Some females may go very flat belied after giving birth looking like the two sides have been pushed in but soon recover when feed plenty of live food. Average broods of 20. Larger females may produce over double this figure. They spend most of the time hiding in the plants except at feeding time.

Remarks
I do a Walter change of 30 to 40 percent fortnightly. they do well between  temperatures of 64f to 70f. and can go outside through the summer months they will eat most food offered to them. to keep them in good condition they should have some live food in there diet. I find the fry are quite vulnerable to sudden water changes in the first few weeks of there life..    

To prevent hybrids
All goodeids should be kept in a species tank   

Attached Image:

Allotoca  zacapuensis male above

Attached Image:

Female two weeks before giving birth
          Attached Image:

Female that has just gave birth to 20 fry

To read more on this article click here
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Viviparous L.I.S., Allotoca zacapuensis by Gary Randell - Theme by Mustang Forums
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 24 queries.