Viviparous L.I.S. - coral red balloon platys

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
January 21, 2018, 02:40:47 PM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Viviparous L.I.S.
|-+  Cultavated livebearers
| |-+  Platies & Sword Tails (Moderator: keith 565)
| | |-+  coral red balloon platys
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: coral red balloon platys  (Read 9412 times)
ricky01
Guppy

Email
« on: December 30, 2008, 10:12:24 PM »

hi all just wondering if any of you are breeding coral red balloon platys or any type of balloon platy i have a few spare males and would like to swap as i think my line will become to inbred these are great little fish i picked them up at the lfs and hes never had them on the lists again
Ricky

Alan
Administrator

http://www.livingfish.co.uk Email
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 07:54:43 AM »

I've seen them once about 6 months ago.

But if you keep 2-3 groups running and select the best males to breed from, then you can introduce fish between the groups now and then.
Inbreeding is not a major issue as some people think. The important thing is to remove any runts and dont allow them to breed.
ricky01
Guppy

Email
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:12:21 PM »

hi Alan thanks for the reply the thing is i only started with a trio and the fish seem to be really inbred to start with they have really small litters and the defects seem to be getting worse also they produce very few females which i do find odd i really like these fish but i think give it a year and my line will be unworkable in its current state
RickyAttached Image:

Attached Image:

keith 565

Email
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 09:00:31 AM »

it think the problem is with the way these fish are produced. i've not kept balloon fish as they are not my thing, but the way in which they are manufactured leads me to think they will all have some sort of problems, be it defects, poor breeding and so on.
SENILITY IS THE ACCUMULATION OF ALL KNOWLEDGE.
ricky01
Guppy

Email
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 02:25:28 PM »

hi Keith i do agree that a lot of the problems with these fish is the way they where first produced though i have to say the ballooning in these platys is a lot less sever than it is with poor old balloon Mollie
Ricky

keith 565

Email
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2009, 08:27:53 AM »

yes, i notice from the pics the ballooning effect in the platies doesn't seem so severe. all i can suggest is to keep trying and pick the best you can for further breeding.you could also try adding a standard male to the group and see what is produced. any fry showing ballooning will make for the next generation of breeders and so should help dilute the gene pool. just my thoughts.
ricky01
Guppy

Email
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 08:31:07 PM »

hi Keith thanks for the reply i think i will split the group and try a create a balloon wagtail platy i think the black fins with the dark red would look quite nice now time to juggle some fish and tanks around
Ricky

keith 565

Email
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:04 AM »

good  luck with the plan. look forward to seeing the results in time.
Gary

Email
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 05:31:02 PM »

just seen some  coral red balloon platys  and the normal type in a petshop in southampton.  i Don't like any balloon fish but got to say the  coral red balloon platys do look nice.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Viviparous L.I.S., coral red balloon platys - Theme by Mustang Forums
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 25 queries.