Viviparous L.I.S. - The Lake of delights

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2018, 09:05:52 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Viviparous L.I.S.
|-+  Member Area
| |-+  Articles (Moderator: keith 565)
| | |-+  The Lake of delights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Lake of delights  (Read 2930 times)

« on: August 15, 2004, 01:15:44 PM »

The Lake of delights
By Derek Lambert

It was on a holiday in 1987, during which time we were looking for fish, of course, when we reached Lago de Zacapu which I have named 'The Lake of Delights'. As a Goodeid enthusiast and a frequent visitor to many of the livebearer habitats in Mexico, this lake, for me, is THE place for finding Goodeids.I have never seen such fertile breeding grounds, the water was rippling with life , ditches, small ponds and bays were full of a variety of species sharing this habitat. Under the rafts of plants we could see large groups of fish.
This lake contains at least seven species of Goodeid to my knowledge we've caught all of them there. []iZoogoneticus quitzeoensis, Hubbsina turneri, Xenotoca variata, Goodea atripinnis, Skiffia sp. Allotoca sp.[/i] and Aloophorus robustus this last one being the Bulldog goodeid which grows to and is a species suitable for those aquarists who like big, ugly fish.

It was after a thunderstorm under darkened skies when we caught our first group of Hubbsina turneri, we had been told that this species had not been captured for many a year and could possibly be extinct. There it was, this livebearer unlike any other we have seen with its Cichlid like dorsal and its night-time life style. They had thought it was night and had come out of their hiding places in the rocks and crevices.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Viviparous L.I.S., The Lake of delights - Theme by Mustang Forums
Page created in 0.129 seconds with 24 queries.