Viviparous L.I.S. - Skiffia bilineata. by Gray Randall

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2018, 09:06:37 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Viviparous L.I.S.
|-+  Member Area
| |-+  Articles (Moderator: keith 565)
| | |-+  Skiffia bilineata. by Gray Randall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Skiffia bilineata. by Gray Randall  (Read 3519 times)

« on: January 03, 2005, 12:18:59 AM »

Skiffia bilineata

By Gary Randall

Skiffia bilineata is a very peaceful fish and one of the smaller goodeids.

Female S. bilineata

Male S. bilineata

Males up to 4cms, females 5cms. The females are greyish in colour with a bluish sheen along and around the belly. This becomes more widespread during pregnancy. The males are grey with blackish fins, when they are breeding, some strains turn black throughout most of there body. Several new collections have been made in an attempt to secure captive stocks before this species becomes extinct in nature.

These fish can be kept in a tank with other small slow moving fish. I prefer to keep mine by themselves in a 2 foot tank with some plants for cover. They breed quite easy and can have as many as 20 fry, but usually less. The adults do not eat their young, so they can all be kept together and left to flock breed. The females of this species will be very thin after giving birth, sometimes looking like the two sides of the fish have been pinched together between a finger and thumb. (She will soon recover if given live foods) To keep these fish in their very best condition they will need some live food in their diet.
All goodeids need live foods to do well; whiteworm, grindal worm, microworm, and brine shrimps can be cultured all year round. Daphnia, bloodworm and mosquitoe larvae are only available during the summer months.
If live foods are not available frozen bloodworms are very good and a good quality flake food will help.

* Temperature: Do well between 68f- 74f.
 * Water changes: Weekly is best.
 * Will breed regulary and can soon overcrowd a tank.
 * There are some strains without the black fins.
 * Some goodeids will hybridise in captivity so only keep one species of goodeid to each aquarium.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Viviparous L.I.S., Skiffia bilineata. by Gray Randall - Theme by Mustang Forums
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 24 queries.