Viviparous L.I.S. - Breeding halfbeaks

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2018, 09:05:56 AM

Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Viviparous L.I.S.
|-+  Member Area
| |-+  Articles (Moderator: keith 565)
| | |-+  Breeding halfbeaks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Breeding halfbeaks  (Read 4340 times)

« on: November 13, 2006, 03:56:12 PM »

Dermogenys pusillus    
       Wrestling halfbeaks

By Gary Randel

I can remember keeping these little fish many years ago. I never thought about breeding them until Duncan offered me to young pairs.  I put them in a 24x8 x 8 tank and a temperature of 74f. My tank water is very hard making it an ideal condition for them. I did not add salt to the tank as it is optional.  

A week before a female was due to have young, I moved her to a similar size tank with plenty of floating plants. I check the tank for fry three times a day, As these fish are cannibalistic.  Once she had all of her fry I returned her back to the main tank, The young are born without beaks and can take up two eight weeks to fully develop.

I Fed the fry newly hatched. Brine shrimp and powder fish meal. The adults are fed flake food. Fruit flies. Mosquito larvae, and Daphnia. They will take bloodworm live or frozen only when floating past their mouths. They can't eat any food that has gone to the bottom of the tank. They Will eat any food offered to them their favourite are fruit flies. They must have some live foods in there diet to do well.
Both sexes are similar in colour. The male anal fin is slightly folded. The female has a more rounded anal fin. Females grow to about 8cm, males up to 6cm. These fish may jump if something frightens them. So a tight fitting lid may be necessary. Males can get very aggressive towards each other so it’s best to keep them in a tank with plenty swimming space and floating plants.

Dermogenys pusillus Can Tolerate temperatures of 64f -84f. Fry are born between 4 to 8 weeks depending on temperature. Brood size can very between 10 to 40 Fry.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
Viviparous L.I.S., Breeding halfbeaks - Theme by Mustang Forums
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 24 queries.